SFFMP 99: A Quick Release Schedule with Traditional Publishing + Rocking Patreon with Seanan McGuire
Today, Seanan McGuire joined us on the show to talk about her urban fantasy and her science fiction, her rapid releases (under two different names) with traditional publishing, how she got started, and what led her to explore Patreon, where she is currently earning nearly $8,000 per short story.
**Note: a few curse words slipped out during the interview, so you might want to listen to this one with your earbuds in!
Here are a few more details on what we covered:
- How writing Buffy porn led to Seanan landing an agent
- Publishing quickly even with traditional publishers
- Why she has two pen names (Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant)
- Seanan’s experiences with two different publishers, each with different ways of going about the business (she’s with Daw and also with Orbit)
- What kinds of marketing things she does on her own, what she pays for, and what the publisher pays for
- Why she decided to start a Patreon campaign and how she got the word out
- Why she feels like you should submit to agents and try to make it through the gauntlet of traditional publishing even if you don’t ultimately sign
- What a launch of a new book looks like for Seanan these days
For a limited time, grab Seanan’s first October Daye urban fantasy novel for 1.99 at Amazon. Visit her anytime at her website or on Twitter. You can also take a peek at her Patreon campaign.