SFFMP 20: SFWA for Indie Authors and Making Money from Patreon and Kickstarter with MCA Hogarth
You may have heard that the SFWA (Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Association) is now allowing small press and indie authors in, so long as they’ve made the earnings requirements. We invited MCA Hogarth onto the show to talk about some of the changes and what they mean for indies, as well as why you might want to join.
After that, we talked a little about marketing, but Lindsay was curious about some of the extra ways MCA is making money from her work, so we also jumped into Patreon, Kickstarter, Paypal tip jars, and coloring books!
Here’s a list of what we hit on:
- The SFWA, which has been around for 50 years, is now accepting small press and indie authors.
- What does the organization offer and why might authors want to join? (Networking, invitations to anthologies, legal help, and more.)
- What are the requirements to join?
- Can you join if your book had a successful Kickstarter campaign?
- Social media for marketing — Twitter, LiveJournal are MCA’s preferred spots.
- How she uses her mailing list and how often she sends newsletters
- How she’s making money with Patreon
- How she’s making money with Kickstarter — she’s run 8 campaigns and even written a book: From Spark to Finish: Running Your Kickstarter Campaign.
You can also check out this article about her in Publishers Weekly: Blazing the Self-Publishing Path.