SFFMP 33: Selling Tons of Urban Fantasy Books with Annie Bellet
We interviewed Annie Bellet, author of the very popular 20-Sided Sorceress urban fantasy series this week. She’s also written epic fantasy, dark fantasy, science fiction, sold short stories to numerous magazines, and participated in various writing workshops. Here’s a little of what we talked about:
- How Annie got started self-publishing and found that it’s much easier to rock it with an ongoing series than with short stories or series starters (that never get followed up)
- When it’s worth having audiobooks of your novels produced
- Tips on writing short stories (and why you might like to write short stories)
- Covers — should you model yours after an existing (and popular!) series in your genre?
- Launching the first book in a series at 99 cents (even if you don’t have others out yet)
- Pre-orders, why Annie isn’t doing them any more
- Amazon KDP Select and Kindle Unlimited, yay or nay?
- Are awards useful in marketing?
- Annie talks the stages of being an indie author and how to move from the beginning struggle to selling more books and gathering a regular audience of readers
- Advertising, which sites deliver the best bang for her buck?
- Mistakes some people make when they actually do have early success (and mistakes people have when they don’t have early success).
- Common themes among indie authors who are failing to break out.
- Treating your writing like a business (assuming your goal is to make money)
Check out the show, and pick up the first in Annie’s series for 99 cents: Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Book 1).