SFFMP 72: Selling More by Writing to Market + A Novel in 21 Days with Chris Fox
Our guest this week is Chris Fox, author of Writing to Market, the Deathless Series, Hero Born, and more. You might remember him from our show in July of 2015. Now he isn’t just encouraging you to write 5k an hour—He has a new nonfiction book out that will help redefine the way you look at writing to make a big splash in the market with potentially less work. Writing to Market shows you how to examine marketing trends and write books that give readers the experiences they want.
Here’s a taste of what we discussed:
- The troubles of writing a book that doesn’t quite fit into market—With elements that might be like ‘mixing peanut butter with pickles.’
- How it can be easier to establish a presence in the market if you write something a little more mainstream. It should be something that you enjoy writing, but something that offers a more ready market.
- That going into publishing with eyes wide open about the market and genres can have a tremendous effect on your career.
- The importance of writing to the market and taking care to pay attention to details like word counts for specific genres.
- How a writer can succeed even if their original works aren’t very good.
- How to ensure your backlist doesn’t go stale.
- Ways to figure out if combining specific genres can be a good or bad ideas.
- Learning methods to use keywords to help you learn both how successful different genres are and how to find an underserved market.
- Tips and tricks for switching genres as an already established author.
- Taking on an intense challenge—A 21 Day Novel Challenge. Possible? Tune in—You won’t want to miss it or what he would say to someone wanting to undertake it.