SFFMP 79: Epic Fantasy, YouTube Marketing, and Finding a Route to Success with Garrett Robinson
This week, we chatted with epic fantasy author Garrett Robinson (http://garrettbrobinson.com/) who got his start with genre hopping and serialized fiction before deciding to settle in and focus on epic fantasy. Several novels later, he’s selling a lot of books and making a great living.
Here’s some of what we talked about:
- Outlining and planning when you’re building a big world with multiple series and storylines
- Juggling multiple series and having publication schedules that satisfy the readers and make marketing doable
- Why it took three books and a boxed set before the ball really started rolling for Garrett
- What kinds of book covers are expected for epic fantasy
- Live vlogging a novel as a way to interact with readers and also as an accountability tool
- Creating a YouTube channel where videos actually convert to book sales
- Why Garrett is sticking with KDP Select for the time being
- The perks of getting a Bookbub ad while in Kindle Unlimited
- Why he’s enjoying Tumblr as a social media platform
- Author Platform Rocket — a resource Garrett uses for generating Facebook leads for his mailing list
- Tips for Facebook advertising (don’t be shy — imagine yourself as a marketing firm that was hired to plug your books)
If you want to get Garrett’s first book for free, stop by his page and sign up for his newsletter.