SFFMP 62: Anthologies, New Covers, and Creating Boxed Sets to Increase Sales with C. Gockel
We had our first repeat guest on the show today, urban fantasy author Carolynn Gockel (writing as C. Gockel) from Episode 19, where we chatted about permafree books, getting started on fan fiction sites, using Tumblr to promote, and where to buy sponsorships. Carolynn has been busy with a lot of marketing stuff in the last year, and she’s also jumped into science fiction, so we talked about some of what she’s done and learned recently.
- The promotional (and monetary) perks of putting a short story into an anthology with other authors in your genre, all of whom throw their marketing weight behind the release.
- Starting your own multi-author boxed sets and whether it’s better to do permafree sets or 99-centers.
- How to snag a Bookbub ad on a multi-author anthology.
- The challenges of launching a new series in a different genre from your flagship series.
- Having one series in Kindle Unlimited (KDP Select) and one wide (she recommends that new authors start out in KDP Select right now).
- Getting approached by audiobook producers and if it’s better to sell your audio rights versus spending the money producing your own audiobooks.
- Whether investing in new covers resulted in an uptick in sales and was worth it for Carolynn.
- Her adventures in Facebook advertising — is it worth using Facebook to promote permafree Book 1s? Boxed sets? Multi-author boxed sets?
- Lastly, she let us know that she writes because, “If I wasn’t an author, I’d probably be a nasty internet troll.” We all have our motivations!
Grab her first book in the I Bring the Fire series for free from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Smashwords, or Apple. You can also check out the first ebook in her science fiction series, Archangel Down.
Visit her online at C. Gockel Writes.