We had a full house tonight with Jo, Jeff, and Lindsay talking to J Thorn, J.F. Penn, and Zach Bohannon, three authors Lindsay is currently collaborating with for a dark fantasy project. Not unexpectedly, our show topic is collaboration, something we’ve talked about before but not for a while. We also discussed networking with other authors and even store merchandizers and how you can get more eyeballs on your work by doing some of these group projects or participating in group promotions.
Here are a few of the details of what we discussed:
- Some of the benefits of collaboration, both from a writing perspective and from a marketing perspective.
- Growing your audience through exposure to other authors’ audiences.
- Leaning more about your craft through working closely with other authors.
- Approaching people you might be interested in working with.
- How accounting works when you’re splitting the earnings and expenses among two or more authors.
- Handling differences that might come up during the project.
- Marketing the finished project and what to do when some of the authors usually write in different genres and have different kinds of lists.
- Networking with other authors for marketing opportunities that don’t involve actual writing collaboration.
- Going to conventions, book expos, etc. to meet other authors and also store merchandizers to get on their radar.
You can check out more on the collaborative project (American Demon Hunters: Sacrifice) right here.
Interested in more interviews? J Thorn was also on the show back with Episode 52: Collaborating and Organizing Multi-Author Boxed Sets. Zach Bohannon talked with us on Episode 49: Productivity and First Book Success.
J.F. Penn (AKA Joanna Penn) also runs the informative Creative Penn podcast for author-prenuers.