This week, we brought back Carolynn Gockel, author of the I Bring the Fire urban fantasy series and the Archangel Project science fiction trilogy, for a third time. She publishes a book about every 7 months and is making a nice full-time living as an author because she’s very proactive with marketing her work, and she’s participating in a lot of multi-author boxed sets and anthologies, as well as joint author promotional efforts. We asked her about what’s working well for marketing right now and also about surveying readers for useful information.
Here are a few more specifics:
- Straddling KDP Select/Kindle Unlimited and “wide” — Carolynn has one series exclusive with Amazon and one series available in all the stores.
- Surveying readers for information useful in writing and marketing.
- She uses Survey Monkey for her surveys (they have a free version, though it’s limited so she pays the monthly fee for the months she wants to run some).
- Asking fellow authors in similar genres to survey their readers (she sets it all up and uses her SM account) to get more data.
- Carolynn continues to find putting together multi-author anthologies and boxed sets to be valuable — she makes money doing it and also gets a lot of new readers checking out her books.
- Why she does a mix of free and 99-cent anthologies and boxed sets, and why she’s also done some specifically targeting Kindle Unlimited readers.
- Her thoughts on collections of original material versus putting in older books.
- What a new author needs to have to be considered for a multi-author boxed set by folks experienced at putting them together.
- Getting into swapping book announcements with other authors with good-sized mailing lists.
- The pros and cons of using Instafreebie for giving away books and building a mailing list.
- Which types of anthologies Bookbub will possibly accept and run.
You can visit Carolynn on her website or check out her books on Amazon and (for the I Bring the Fire series) all the other vendors. Her latest release, Heretic, is available on Amazon and in Kindle Unlimited.
You can also listen to her previous shows here: