This week, paranormal romance author Nalini Singh joined us to talk about her genre, her experiences getting a traditional U.S. publisher when she was living in New Zealand, and how things have evolved over the 14 years that she’s been publishing. She’s best known for her Psy Changling and Guild Hunter series, and she’s also dipped her toes in the self-publishing waters with her contemporary romance series, Rock Kiss.
Here are some specifics of what we covered:
- Differences to the publishing process when based in New Zealand or another country as opposed to the US or UK.
- How paranormal romance is doing trend-wise now and whether publishers are looking for it.
- The difference between urban fantasy and paranormal romance.
- The importance of being consistent and not getting details wrong in a long series (Nalini keeps a story bible).
- Some of the pros and cons of continuing a long-running series.
- How helpful book review blogs can be if you can get your novels picked up.
- Sending out ARC copies well in advance of the publication date.
- Which social media sites Nalini likes and what she does on the different ones.
- How she’s building her mailing list and working to keep fans happy.
- How often you have to publish these days to stay relevant and grow a fan base.