SFFMP 143: Writing Quickly, Sci-Fi Anthologies, and Networking with Other Authors with Craig Martelle
Today, science fiction author Craig Martelle joined us to talk about how he’s gotten rolling so quickly, publishing 20 novels in two years, spearheading three anthologies, and becoming super involved in the popular 20Booksto50K Facebook group, where he’s helping to put together a couple of huge conferences for indie authors.
Here are some of the specifics on what we covered:
- Jumping right in with a schedule to write and publish books quickly.
- Target word counts and planning out series ahead of time.
- Differences in post-apocalyptic and space opera genres.
- Reasons for putting together anthologies and how to make them profitable.
- Networking with other authors online and in person.
- Whether marketing and business should play a role in how you choose the next books you’re going to write.
- Creating a bundle of starter books once you’ve got multiple series out.
- What Craig posts on his Facebook page to keep readers interested and sell more books.
- Asking for reviews at the end of books (and linking back to the book’s page in the store to make it easier for readers).
If you’re interested in signing up for either of the conferences that Craig talked about, here are the links: