Today we interviewed each other and talked about what each of us does for a book launch these days. Jo and Jeff talked about how things go now as authors with established fan bases, and Lindsay talked about her recent pen name launch, where nobody knew about the books, and she was essentially starting from scratch as a new author.
We covered a lot, but here are some of the topic highlights:
- What’s changed in the last four years (book launches back in 2010 versus book launches today).
- What we do pre-launch to build buzz and make sure readers are interested
- Continuing with a series versus publishing a stand-alone book
- What we do on the social media sites
- How having a mailing list helps with increasing visibility at Amazon
- Whether we send out advanced review copies or lobby for reviews
- The advantage that KDP Select and Kindle Unlimited authors have right now
- Whether we believe in going wide or being exclusive with Amazon and the pros and cons of each
- Should new authors consider launching in KDP Select?
- Why, if you’re starting from scratch or starting a new series, you might want to wait until you have the first two books ready to go before publishing
- Some launches that have gone well for us and some that have flopped (and why)
Also, for anyone who might want to hear more about the specifics of Lindsay’s pen name launch, I did a detailed write up on my blog at the one-month point.