Tough guy urban fantasy author Domino Finn joins Lindsay and Jeff this week to analyze urban fantasy, talk about why his series took off, why others don’t, and what some of the expected tropes are in the genre.
Here’s some of what we covered:
- Analyzing the market to figure out why your books aren’t selling, then readjusting and launching a new series that’s more in line with expectations.
- Finding an underserved market within a very popular and competitive genre.
- Launching a book and having it stick on Amazon even without a lot of advertising dollars behind it.
- Why Domino broke the mold and went with a first-person blurb for Dead Man.
- Writing to market versus writing something that’s original and you with some marketable elements.
- Can posting on forums actually help sell books?
- Domino’s experiences with going wide, and why he’s sticking with KDP Select/Kindle Unlimited for now.
- Putting together an anthology/boxed set with other authors writing the same type of UF and contributing original content.
- Predictions for where the genre might go next.
You can visit Domino Finn at his website and check out his first Black Magic Outlaw book, Dead Man, on Amazon. If you’d like to try the anthology he’s in with several other authors, it’s only 99 cents right now on Amazon: Full Metal Magic.