SFFMP 100: Increasing International Sales and Doing Better on Non-Amazon Platforms with Dan Wood of Draft2Digital
Today, we spoke with Dan Wood from the ebook distributor Draft 2 Digital. We asked him a bit about D2D itself and then jumped into marketing questions and best practices based on what he sees.
Here are some specifics of what we covered:
- Which stores can Draft2Digital get you into and in which countries?
- Which e-tailers account for the most sales for D2D authors
- The state of international markets and whether any are coming on strong
- Some of D2D’s new features, such as the ability to do pre-orders with several retailers and the ability to put your own affiliate links in the back of your books
- How to get on the radar with the various retailers and get invited into special promotions
- Who pre-orders are best for
- How to gain traction on the non-Amazon platforms
- Whether permafree is still effective with Apple, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, etc.
- Suggestions for reaching international audiences and whether permafree works there too
- Best practices when it comes to pricing in the different countries
- When going wide makes sense and when it might make more sense to be exclusive with Amazon
- If there is anything to watch out for as far as using keywords in titles and book descriptions
- Whether D2D is going to make a deal with Google Play and start distributing to them
- Who to email to ask about possibly getting invited into a promotion for a specific retailer (email@example.com)