Robert Bevan joined us this week to talk about writing in a smaller niche (one with no Amazon category) such as comedic fantasy inspired by Dungeons & Dragons. He’s published several novels and collections of short stories in his Caverns & Creatures world, with tongue-in-cheek titles such as Critical Failures, Clerical Error, and Multiple Orc Chasms. He started publishing in 2012, when he was happy to sell a few books a day, and is now able to write full time.
Here are some of the things we talked about:
- Trying to publish wide but deciding on KDP Select.
- Writing in a niche that isn’t well-served by traditional publishing.
- Some of the challenges of writing humor.
- Bucking the trend and doing unique covers versus what’s popular in the genre.
- Publishing short stories and then bundling them to have more offerings out there (and more books to run promos on).
- Combining Kindle Countdown Deals with Facebook ads.
- How Robert chooses authors to target for his Facebook ads.
- Doing Countdown Deals on multiple books at once to flood the charts.
- Creating free adventures for the sole purpose of using sites like Instafreebie to entice readers onto your mailing list.
You can find his books on Amazon.