This week, we chatted with urban fantasy authors Christine and Nick Crawford who write under the name CN Crawford. Christine has recently been able to quit the day job and go full time with the writing. After starting out publishing one book in 2014 and one in 2015, they got rolling in 2016, and now have several series going and selling well. We talked about urban fantasy and what it’s taking to succeed right now.
Here are some of the specific details from our conversation:
- Collaborating as a husband and wife team.
- Dealing with differences of opinion when your writing partner is your spouse.
- Whether it takes anything special to break into the popular urban fantasy niche.
- Thoughts on upcoming trends for urban fantasy.
- Whether the genre expects male or female protagonists.
- Giving away a free extra that ties into your main series in order to entice newsletter signups.
- Using Bookfunnel to facilitate ebook giveaways.
- Predominantly using Amazon and Facebook ads and not doing much with the typical promo sites.