SFFMP 70: Retold Fairy Tales, Kindle Unlimited, and Finding Less Competitive Categories with K.M. Shea
Fantasy author K.M. Shea talks about how she’s found a lot of success publishing retold fairy tales and is now a full-time author. We covered…
- The perks of publishing in a category that is underserved by traditional publishing and that isn’t hugely competitive.
- Why K.M. has everything in KDP Select/Kindle Unlimited now (yes, she’s tried going wide too).
- Monitoring page reads and payouts in Kindle Unlimited to make sure it’s working for you
- Pitfalls and things to be careful of when retelling fairy tales.
- Creating a series even when your books are stand-alone — is there a theme that can pull them all together?
- Encouraging more reviews for books by offering free extras for all when certain numbers of reviews are reached.
- Connecting with readers and giving them lots of extras to turn them into ravenous fans who want to see you succeed.
- Choosing a cover style when you’re in a category where this isn’t a Big 5 presence and examples are all over the place.