SFFMP 17: Kindle Unlimited, Pre-Orders, and Smashwords Formatting
After a week off, we’re back, and we had a good long chat tonight, covering all sorts of useful topics (we hope they’re useful, anyway!). We didn’t have a guest, so we interviewed each other on marketing/publishing subjects that we’re experienced with. Jeff answered our questions on Smashwords formatting, Jo talked about his experience with pre-orders and whether they’re a good idea for increasing book sales, and Lindsay talked about her experience in KDP Select and Kindle Unlimited (with her pen name).
Here’s a list of some of the topics we hit upon:
- In the opening news, Lindsay argued why it’s a good idea to bundle the early books in a series
- The gang discussed the fact that the SFWA is now allowing in small press and indie authors
- Pre-orders on Amazon, yea or nay?
- Why pre-orders on Smashwords, Apple, and Kobo are a good idea
- How far out you can list pre-orders and what happens if you fail to get your finished manuscript up in time
- Lots of formatting tips for dealing with the Smashwords meatgrinder
- How KDP Select and Kindle Unlimited can increase visibility and be useful for new authors
- Whether the perks of KDP Select are worth the exclusivity requirement or whether it’s better to go wide