SFFMP 63: Improving Sales as Your Series Progresses with Space Opera Author Terry Mixon
Today’s guest is a former NASA employee and U.S. Army soldier who recently made the switch to writing science fiction full time. Terry Mixon is the author of two space opera series, The Empire of Bones Saga and The Humanity Unlimited Saga, and he’s also dabbled in erotica (as he informed us during the interview, he’s now making more from his sci-fi than he did from erotica, so there’s no reason not to write what you love). In addition to being an author, Terry is one of the co-hosts of the Dead Robots’ Society Podcast.
Here’s some of what we covered in the show:
- Keeping the story interesting as the series progresses
- The state of space opera currently when it comes to marketing and selling books
- The pros of starting out in KDP Select/Kindle Unlimited
- Running Kindle Countdown Deals on older books at the same time as you release a new book in the series
- Nailing your genre with your covers (making your book look like it could be on the shelf next to traditionally published novels)
- Building your mailing list — do you need to offer incentives?
- Amazon’s 30- and 90-day cliffs
- Building a fan base by publishing regularly in a series
Check out Terry’s books on Amazon, including the first book in his Empire of Bones Saga.